The New Year excitement may be settling, but we’re still in celebration mode. Why? Not only was Beautycounter recently re-certified as a B Corporation, but we received a score of 95—our highest rating ever, and a 14-point jump from two years ago. Here’s how we did it, and why we’re so proud of this major achievement.
What does it mean to be a Certified B Corporation?
In short, B Corps are companies that use business as a force for good. To be certified as a B Corporation, a brand must meet high standards for social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. It’s a pretty exclusive club—there are currently over 2,000 certified B Corps worldwide (with this number growing every day), including leading companies such as Seventh Generation, Apolis, Patagonia, and Eileen Fisher.
What’s behind Beautycounter’s B Corp status?
The B Corp assessment process is extremely rigorous. It looks at both a business’ products and its impact on people and the planet.
There are several reasons why Beautycounter qualifies as a B Corp.
- Safer products: Our ingredient selection process keeps harmful ingredients out of our formulas.
- Environmental sustainability: This is a key focus across the business—especially when it comes to ingredient sourcing and packaging.
- Education: We work to tell everyone about harmful chemicals in beauty products, recommending safer alternatives whenever possible.
- Charitable Giving: We donate to trusted non-profit partners including the Environmental Working Group, Stand Up to Cancer, Breast Cancer Prevention Partners and many more.
- Employee Empowerment: Our mission enables women to run their own businesses, while we offer benefits such as paid family leave to our corporate employees.
And we’re constantly striving to do even better.
Since our last B Corp certification in 2015, we published our first Corporate Sustainability Report (CSR) in an effort to be more transparent about our business practices. We created stricter policies to keep contaminants out of our products. We reduced our chemical footprint, achieving the top score out of 25 businesses in the Chemical Footprint Project two years in a row. And we founded an in-house Community Expansion Department to promote further progress toward representing everyone’s voices in the movement for better beauty.
All of these things contributed to our best-ever score, and we’re proud to have earned our certified B Corporation status for another two years. Thanks, as always, for your support—we wouldn’t be here without you.