One of the things we’re proudest of is our mission, because it goes beyond our company, our local community—and even our industry. Making a positive impact on people and ecosystems across the globe is incredibly important to us, and we couldn’t do it without some help. So, what we are about to announce is a big deal.
Beautycounter is teaming up with one of the world’s most rigorous, credible organizations: we are now a Signatory to the United Nations Global Compact. This means we’re joining an alliance that encourages businesses to advance the broader goals of sustainability and social responsibility. As a Signatory, Beautycounter will work to align our strategies and operations with ten core principles surrounding human rights, labor, environment, and anti-corruption1:
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Businesses should make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Businesses should support the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor.
- Businesses should champion the effective abolition of child labor.
- Businesses should support the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Businesses should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Businesses should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
This reaffirms our commitment to abolishing human rights issues and labor violations in the supply chain, and to being better stewards of the environment that we all share. Keep your eyes peeled for updates about our participation in the Global Compact and how it will help us on our journey to #betterbeauty. In the meantime, take a moment to read the letter from Gregg, our Founder and CEO, to the UN—you can find it here.
1 United Nations Global Compact. Link: https://www.unglobalcompact.org/what-is-gc/mission/principles.